Friday, February 13, 2009

South Carolina

I’m back on my little laptop and that can only mean one thing: back on the road. The plan is to head on out to California - home - and find work while simultaneously doing a bit of surfing and catching up on normal life. Thailand was, at one time, a possibility but, with the recession going on, I’m none too plussed about burning through my $afety net and then looking for a new job. In a way, I’m looking at a career change so this job search is a bit more daunting than most.

I’m finding myself much less enthusiastic about this leg of the Big American Journey. As my dad suggested, this could be due to the fact that I’m headed home and have a gloomy job search ahead of me. It’s possible my wanderlust might be temporarily cured. Or the prospect of exploring one’s own country is a bit dull after a whirlwind tour of far more exotic lands. I’m blaming it all on winter. The days are shorter, the air is cooler and the countryside is, for the most part, dead.

Fortunately, America is a large country and two of winters’ curses can be dealt with by heading south. In the south, the landscape isn’t as rugged and the adventure is tamed by a serious lack of wilderness. I thought I would be up for experiencing BBQ for dinner and the southern pace of life but I’m way to impatient for this stuff right now. I dream of rugged and it’s hard to feel like you’re roughing it when fresh BBQ and cheap beer is less than a mile from your campsite.

Regardless, I’ll push on through. I don’t have a route planned yet but it’ll come together. Tonight I’m in Congaree National Park and will be exploring the swampy trails tomorrow. After that, I have no idea where I’m headed.

NCToTexas 014

No comments: