Sunday, October 5, 2008

Prague (so far)

Prague is beautiful. Please notice the period at the end of that sentence. I can’t remember ever visiting a city with this much pure beauty. Everywhere you turn and everywhere you go, you’re absolutely overwhelmed by the architecture and layout of the city. Narrow stone alleyways randomly run into large courtyard squares surrounded by art nuveau? buildings. It’s truly an amazing place. I’ve never been to Paris but I can’t imagine a city’s beauty besting that or Prague. I’ll visit sometime to make the call but in the meantime I’m making a mental note to never move to Prague for the simple reason that every other city I live after moving away in will be downright ugly in comparison.

Prague 063

The past few days have been spent walking around the city in no particular direction and marveling at every turn. It’s an adventure here. City structures and pathways date back to medieval times (I stumbled upon a large orchard/garden that’s existed in the same place since the1200s to today) and back then, city planning consisted of someone saying “gosh it’s nice I’m not dying today” and then throwing their shit in the street. I can see why the Czech cubist movement flourished here. There are no right angles in the streets and it adds to the flavor of the city. Why not extend that idea to your buildings, furnishings and paintings?

BTW, the black Madonna house is quite nice:

Prague 003

As is the café inside. I enjoyed my time there a lot:

Prague 043

I really don’t have much more to say, amazing sums it up well I suppose I’m getting my feet wet, learning how I like to travel by the seat of my pants in a foreign country and exist on the go. Learning a few Czech phrases has been fun and there’s a bit of adventure at every turn from buying beer in shops to figuring out how to use and get cheated by the local pay phones.

PraguePano2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was going to leave a public comment but maybe it's best left to a private email.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brendan,
Just finished catching up on your trip while researching blogs. Looking forward to more news and photos. My best to mr. wishkins.
Sara