Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Folsom to the California Shore

Wow, what a day! I feel like a five year old kid who just ate his first salad bowl sized helping of Fruity Pebbles. The day started off in Folsom at Barb and Flip’s house. I’ve always enjoyed my time in Folsom, it feels like my home away from home on the west coast, and whenever I leave, I look forward to returning.

The trip out of Folsom was really the true start of my travels and honestly, it wasn’t the most exciting start to a trip I’ve ever had. In fact, the first 40 or so miles of the trip was boring, flat and hot. Taking US-50 to I-5 and riding that to Woodland was your average central California interstate crap, only with more suck. I think the highlight of that portion of my trip was a giant sign by the side of the road (I regret not getting a picture) yelling at all oncoming traffic “We sell dirt”. My entrepreneurial mind wondered if they ever thought of diversifying and selling mud. I couldn’t help but daydream about this:



Branching off of I-5 at Woodland the scenery and the drive instantly changed. It was glorious. First, while driving out of the central valley, the interstate was replaced by HW 16, a beautiful 2 lane road lined with oak trees. I found myself winding my way through small farms and orchards. Signs by the side of the road advertised fresh squash instead of dirt.

When the road reached the hills, the farmland gave way to plots of land featuring small family run orchards (I wish I knew what they were growing), smaller houses, and the occasional bush farm (well… I’m not sure what those plants were…).

CAtoGlacier 008

One fun aspect of traveling along highways instead of interstates is the sporadic stops and slowdowns due to road construction. It kinda’ breaks up the monotony of driving as you wait 5-10 minutes for your chance to share a single lane. People, stop their cars, get out, stretch and even smalltalk.

CAtoGlacier 020
You can get one hell of a tan working outside in California.

As I continued through to Willits I noticed that there are a whole lot of pickup trucks in Northern California. I grew up in North Carolina and was surprised that we don’t have a monopoly on rednecks.

The guy in front of me at the gas station picked up 6 cans of skoal.

I’m used to seeing fairly dumb, white trash, hey look at me I’m an ignorant sonofabitch bumper stickers in the south but once I saw my second

Uncle Sam want you
to speak English.

bumper sticker, I started to feel that 100 miles north of the bay area…ain’t the bay area.

Whatever… No Problemo.

Continuing on 20 out of Willits, the scenery changed again. As I dropped down through the turns to the coast, the oak and burnt grassland hills began to mix with coastal redwood forests. It’s amazing how fast this state changes.

There’s something about breaking through to the Pacific that never gets old. Meeting up with Highway one was like coming home for Christmas. At Fort Bragg I decided that the sun was getting low and it was about time to eat some dinner and call it a day. Besides, the Burger King chicken sandwich I ate for lunch was getting lonely. I found it fortuitous that, as soon as I thought, “Humm, I should eat” the North Coast Brewery suddenly appeared.


Red Seal Ale and a cup of their famous clam chowder…J’amie! (yes, j’amie is French for “I like”).
CAtoGlacier 032

Tonight I’m staying at MacKerricher State Park. At the start of the day, I was shooting for Redwood National Park but this place is great. After catching the sunset

CAtoGlacier 035

I was able to explore their rocky tidal pools. I met me a friend.

CAtoGlacier 044

And now it’s time to go to bed. Tomorrow’s gonna’ rock.

No comments: