Saturday, September 6, 2008

Portland 9-6-08

Things go by fast on the road. I arrived in Portland last night and have been running ever since. Actually, I feel like I’ve been way behind on stuff for the last few days. That’s the truth. It’s an all out (scenic) sprint up to Glacier and I’ve had a lot to get through before I get there.

Today I finally finished up with the tail end of my Berkeley stuff, final bills, health insurance and a bunch of odds and ends. Once that was taken care of it was time to play quartermaster and get supplied…at REI (OK, that’s the last time I’ll rhyme...no, no, that was). The REI in Portland is HUGE. Much bigger than the one if Folsom or Berkeley. I had a very Targetesque experience while shopping there. I entered needing one item and left with an entire load of stuff and a lot less money. Aaahh, shopping! I love how you make me do irrational things. We killed a few hours at REI and then I was treated to an impromptu tour of Portland by my uncle Bill.

I was really impressed. Portland seems to straddle the line between an industry heavy working town and a vibrant young city. It really doesn’t have a big city feel but there’s a ton to do here. People seem friendly and hip, there’s a lot of activity on the street and outdoor seating. I liked the feel of the town a lot. Now, keep in mind that it was sunny and warm. No, it was flat out beautiful. I’m leaving before I see any rain or grey skies.

We had dinner with my Aunt Lynn and Uncle Ed. Toured Ed’s woodshop/man cave (he’s currently building a wooden kayak), ate ice cream, looked at maps and then called it a night.

Portland? Great.

No comments: